Thursday, January 27, 2011

My day in great detail...

I am a boring person. I have to preface this. LOL  I have chosen to detail my day on a day that I am working, as its not as boring as other times....


0555- alarm goes off, get up take a shower and get ready for work.


0625- throw something into the microwave to eat on my way


0630-0635- off to work. Most mornings I have to scrape ice off of my windshield. I HATE scraping ice. I firmly believe that in a climate where our humidity level rarely exceeds 20 % ice should not form on the windshield. thats my story and I am sticking to it.


0650- arrive at work, I have to park in a secured lot with the SWAT van and sheriffs vehicles, we cannot wear coats into the facility so I have to stop and put it in the break room closet. By the time I get out of my car and get to the time clock it can take a full 10 minutes or maybe more. Because I have to go through the length of the building and through many doors. I proceed,  Scanning in through 4 sets of secure doors and past master control, picking up a HUGE set of keys at the key locker and then through the door into our medical department.


0700- I take report from the offgoing nurse, grab a bottle of water and chat with the girls for a while before med pass.


0730/0745- we leave on med pass. Taking meds to the inmates on 2 of our 6 pods. Unless we only have 2 nurses available to do med pass, then we pass to 3 of the 6 pods each. this takes about 45 minutes to an hour.


0830-1030 up to booking. I have to pass meds to all of my inmates who are still in the booking cells, do their morning assessments and then start assessing all of the inmates who have not yet been cleared to housing. 


1030-1215 we lockdown. Head count is done by the deputy and all inmates have to be locked in their holding cells. So I go and do paperwork. The deputy eats lunch and the inmates eat lunch. 


1215-1330- more booking. During the time I have been doing my paperwork I can get called to prescreen several times to medically clear inmates who come in who have been injured or who have medical problems that need addressed while incarcerated.


1330- I eat lunch
1400-1730 back to booking. Depending on the day, I could stay all day in the booking area, or I can spend some time in my booking office or in the department doing paperwork.


1730- close out my booking day, then back to the department to finish up paperwork


1900- report off to oncoming nurse


1930- home to figure out something to eat for dinner that will not take extensive time to prepare.


2000- read email, watch tv 


2130 off to bed to start all over again! 


See, I told you I was boring. LOLOLOL



3 comments:

  1. not boring but consistent! I'm sure there are some surprises in there too...what about your days off??? take care..;j

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I think that is fascinating. I would love to come see you work some day. It sounds like an interesting job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, this is all familiar! I remember all the doors locking behind me and master control. Took me back :)

    I was usually trying to deliver commissary when the nurse came LOL. She had priority and I had to wait. I love routine, but I agree with Jojo..I know surprises pop up!!

    I'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete