Hi everyone! Sorry for my absence. I have been having some problems with time management when I am working. My work schedule is 7:00am until 7:30pm, so that puts me home sometime close to 8:00pm. Then I have to eat dinner. I think thats my problem. I need to figure out some way to cook ahead so I can nuke something for dinner because even if it only takes 15 minutes to throw something together, then I am just sitting down to eat at 8:30.
Anyway, I end up with an hour or an hour and a half between the time I sit down to eat and the time I have to get to bed to get up at 6:00am, so therein lies my problem. Just enough time to read emails and facebook and then I am off to bed!
Its all a time management thing. I will figure it out.
Now about my new job, I am LOVING this job! It involves everything that I love all in one job. I get exposed to all kinds of legal stuff, and law enforcement stuff (I should have been a cop instead of a nurse. LOL) and then I get to do REAL nursing. I am actually feeling like I am turning the corner and getting back into nursing again, instead of just being a glorified hostess... unfortunately thats what ER nursing has turned into..
I am the "booking nurse" at the jail. I wear a 2 way radio, and a duress alarm (which has a gps tracking device in it. if my alarm goes horizontal or I push the duress button or pull the string, a pack of well armed deputies will descend on my location post haste). I am responsible for medically clearing every inmate that is brought into our facility. As they are brought into our "sally port" ( the drop off area between the outside and the actual facility) by LE officers, our booking deputies ask a series of health related questions, and if the inmate answers yes on some of them, then I have to come up and make sure this person is medically stable enough to book in.
After they are stripped, dressed in our intake scrubs, and placed into our holding cells, I need to do a medical screening exam on them, and either clear them to housing or keeping them in booking for one thing or another. Intoxication and alcohol dependence are big issues. we cannot place these folks in housing and risk them going into alcohol withdrawals, so I keep them in booking and I am responsible for them until they complete our detox protocol. I also control all medical issues during the booking process.
All of our nurses have great autonomy and the competence of our nursing staff is unbelievable. Unlike the hospital that I just left, where they promote incompetence.
Can you tell I am giddy with excitement?? God has given me this amazing gift to restore my faith in people. He does work in mysterious ways. Who would have thought that caring for criminals would help me realize that we are all the same in Gods eyes, and that we shouldnt judge each other.
What a great feeling it is to enjoy going to work, to actually be able to laugh and enjoy my time at my job... I havent felt like this in a long long time.
Its my Christmas gift from above.. I am truly thankful..
So very happy for you! I enjoyed working at the jail too, although not in your special capacity. I got close to some and could not believe in a million years that they were in for what they were in for. Even today, when I see someone I gave food to is sentenced to life in prison or God forbid death...it hurts in a way.
ReplyDeleteVery rewarding in that you see so much and realize the depth of problems out there.
Yeah! Ms. Tonjia is a happy camper ♥♥♥
Well, I think you might like your new job just a little bit! I'm happy for you! It's so much easier to go to a job that one likes than to dread going to work every day. I can see why you'd be having an adjustment to the time...... those are some long hours you're working.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love your statement about all being the same in God's eyes and that we shouldn't judge. Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone could keep that in mind.
Blessings.........