I had an interesting conversation yesterday. I was talking with an inmate and he said he was "houseless". He went on to add that at one time he had a house, a job, 2 cars, a garage, a retirement plan etc.. and now he is living in a tent on the river bank.
The phrase "houseless" really stuck with me. We always talk about the "homeless" here. We have a lot of homeless folks, and a lot of transients. It has been pointed out to me that they are two different sets of people here. The "homeless" are those who are down on their luck, lots of them with children, and they live or better yet, exist in our local missions and shelters. The transients are those who have made a way of life out of begging on the corner, they are usually alcohol or drug abusers and they tell me that this is the way they want to live...
But "houseless" kind of stuck with me. It is very easy to become houseless these days. I hear horror stories of people who have lost their homes or are in the process of losing them. They have no jobs and what are they supposed to do now? what a sad situation. Please keep these people in your prayers. As the saying goes "there, but for the grace of God go I"
So, at this holiday time, please reach out and give to others. Whether it is food or gifts or just a helping hand.....
I never distinguished between the two. Good point. I gave about $50 worth of razors and shaving cream to the Rescue Mission for the homeless about 2 weeks ago. I'm giving wherever and whenever I can. I am so blessed.
ReplyDeleteGood post ♥
I'm doing the same as Deb, a little here and there. I know how easy it would be for many of us to become houseless...in fact, one paycheck would probably put us in that catagory. sad.
ReplyDelete