Monday, August 29, 2011

To Caffeinate or not to Caffeinate.... THAT is the question!

I have a little story to preface this post. About a year ago (early 2010) I started having heart palpitations. It just started out of the blue, I had them in the past when I was knocking myself out in a busy trauma center in PA. I wore a 24 hour holder monitor and my doc said to try to relieve the stress and go on about my business it was a benign rhythm and it eventually went away.

I wasn't alarmed when it started, actually I thought it was because of menopause (and it might be) and hormonal imbalances so I kind of ignored it. Then it got to be really bad, every other beat was premature and it was constant, and it started to bug me. SO.. being the good nurse that I am, I started trying to figure out what was triggering this. One of the main triggers of palpitations is caffeine so I went cold turkey and stopped drinking my beloved Diet Pepsi. The funny beats continued with tenacity, and when I went to the doctor she didn't think too much about it. She was thrilled that I stopped drinking caffeine (I even stopped eating chocolate, for a little while), but it didn't stop them.

Then I changed jobs, maybe it was coincidence and maybe it wasn't but they stopped. Now they come just once in a while, but nothing like before. Now, my dilemma... I really really want to start drinking diet pepsi again. I have been drinking caffeine free/diet pepsi but its really just colored carbonated water.

I have been eating chocolate for over a year, with no problems. Herein lies my dilemma.. To caffeinate or not to caffeinated? I will be asking my Dr next week!

2 comments:

  1. Hell, no choice here...DRINK! I couldn't live without my coffee LOL

    Of course, it's up to you hahahaha
    We want you to hang around for many years, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so you asked......I love my coffee, just like Paxie, so I go for the caffeinate! That's my opinion, or addiction, whatever............

    ReplyDelete