Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Probably Sound Heartless....

But, I don't want to relive the horror that is 9/11. Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the disaster. I have trouble listening to the radio, or the TV when they are talking about what happened then.. I think we all deal with grief in our own way, and I just don't want to go through this again. It sickens me.

I will never forget the morning of September 11, 2001. Dana and I had both worked the night shift of September 10. We had been in bed maybe 2 hours, when the phone rang and it was his boss. Dana was  being put on disaster alert. We had a huge army depot of stored artillery about 10 minutes from our house and the Army thought it might have been a potential target. So, the local EMS and fire agencies were being called out or put on standby.

I had no idea at that time that the twin towers had been hit, Dana's boss told me I had better turn on the TV and we did. We watched just like everyone else, the horrors that were unfolding. THEN.. flight 93 went down. 10 minutes from our house by air.  Shanksville was just over the mountain from us. It was kind of spooky. We lived 10 minutes by ground from Site R and Camp David and who knew if the terrorists were targeting them as well? It was not clear, but speculated, that flight 93 might have been headed to Site R, instead of the White House.  Or even worse, to the populated area of Franklin county where we lived, 250,000 people in a valley surrounded by mountains..At that time no one knew.

Everyone was on edge to say the least.

We lived in an area of south central PA that was strategically positioned, 90 minutes from DC and Baltimore and 4 hours from NYC. For weeks we saw the rescue brigades as they headed north on I-81 to give relief to the rescuers already at ground zero. We had pleas from the hospitals in NYC for nurses and doctors and many of our friends went north.  Our community was never the same again. It was too close for comfort.

Since then, over the course of a decade, we healed. I don't want to pull off the scab........

4 comments:

  1. I have this feeling that I can't watch but I also can't NOT watch. I don't want to relive it but I can't help watching the specials and footage. I have been crying for three days straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tonjia, I can see why you don't want to remember. I had no idea that you were so close to the disaster area of 9/11. Thank God you were safe I am watching GMA as we speak, and the tears are flowing as I'm reliving it. It will be good to have this day behind us as I'm sure it's tough for millions of our people.

    Blessings my friend. Have a peaceful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea, but I didn't know you then. No wonder. I spoke to a friend yesterday and he feels as you do. He doesn't re-live tragedy. I've watched and had such a heavy heart.

    I just listened a little this morning...

    When CNN started a segment defending Muslims, I shut it off. Can't go there today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone, luckily I was able to avoid it today.. I was at work.

    ReplyDelete