Sunday, September 25, 2011

And tomorrow is the big day!

I start working a "normal" shift tomorrow.

8 hours per day, 5 days a week. I haven't worked a normal schedule since becoming a nurse 17 years ago. For 17 years I have worked at a fast pace, no coffee breaks, no lunch/dinner breaks, eat dinner while you are charting, or taking care of patients. Hence always cold food, and sometimes you don't even finish. Every single day at least 12 1/2-14 hours on the clock. When I work, I would have to relinquish living to just work, sleep, work, sleep etc for at least 3 days straight. Nothing else. Sometimes I would realize that I had not even been to the bathroom in 8 or 10 hours.......

Now I am wondering if I am going to like the new schedule.......

Time will tell, I am diving in feet first, I will let you know!

4 comments:

  1. Normal will seem quite abnormal to you for a while I'm sure!!! Whatever will you do with yourself??? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is an RN...trying to get together is short of impossible. Our schedules seldom collide. Baby #2 is due next week and she is still pulling 3 nights in a row. I have so much respect for all of you who dedicate your lives to the health of others...not an easy world!
    Keep us posted!
    Wishing you well!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve to finally be working this kind of shift. Not that you're getting older, but you may be soon LOL LOL

    I'm thinking you'll like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really liked the 'normal' day shift but it may be just what you need now. Hope it goes well, you've certainly earned it!

    ReplyDelete